Last year, I wrote a pretty thorough list of the blessings in my life. This is my update:
- For pretty much every year that I have been married, two people have graced Thanksgiving dinner at our house who will not be with us this year. I am thankful to have known my husband’s Aunt Rusty. I am grateful that she was able to hold on just a few days longer last year—long enough to be with us one last time. I am thankful for my husband’s late mother, who gave me the gift of a wonderful husband and who blessed my children with a good father.
- I am grateful that my brother and sister-in-law have moved back to Colorado and that this Thanksgiving his family and mine will gather together with our mom at a holiday table, every one of us, for the very first time ever.
- Last year, one of the things on my list was my dog, Java. A better companion I could not have asked for. His loss was so deep, it took two dogs to make up for him, and I am grateful for their antics…well, most of them, anyway.
- I am grateful for my student teacher, who is amazingly together and whose enthusiasm is a constant reminder that the vocation is, indeed, worth the accompanying crap from on high.
- I am grateful for hot tea on cold days.